The plexi was far from being anywhere near a state that could be saved. The case was rusted in places and scratched deeply in others.
Thankfully, the movement was in reasonable condition. Whatever foul conditions ruined the outside of the what had not significantly wended their way into the case. Inside we see a beautiful Tudor movement, speckled with plenty of dust. I believe (feel free to correct me here) this is an ETA 2836 movement.
The only real un-mendable aesthetic issues on the watch relate to the dial. Between 3 & 5 the edges of the dial are heavily worn/degraded. I'm only guessing, but I think this is water damage.
The restoration process largely focused on the case: cleaning, sanding and a great deal of polishing. The plexi was much quicker, but far more tricky to resolve. I consulted my parts expert at the local watchmakers/jeweller's tool shop, but we were unable to find a perfectly fitting plexi for the case. I opted for a slightly oversized plexi, that I turned down to fit the case - it was an unbelievably tight fit, and I'm certain it's not coming out in one piece (so I'm glad I took time to align it properly..). During the disassembly, parts of the hand lume fell away, and instead of leaving it half on one of the hands, I opted to remove all the old lume from each hand. Perhaps when I learn more about re-luming hands I'll be able to take another run at this watch.
The back of the case looks a lot better, but still not quite perfect.
Apart from the dial, I'm extremely happy with the overall result. A fantastic movement, running beautifully