Monday, 10 June 2013

A Massive Bag Of Watch Parts!

Last week, whilst I was in my Jeweller/Watchmaker Supplies store acquiring a buffing rouge, one of the guys said "wait here David, I've got something you may be interested in". I indulged the mystery and patiently waited. When he returned he dumped a rather substantial bag of metal on the counter and said "25 a kilo".

Here's half of what he placed on the counter (I'd sorted half already when I took the pic):


And inside the bag:


The bag weighted 3 kilograms, and was the densest, most assorted jumble of watch parts I've ever seen. Every conceivable part, for wrist and pocket watches can be found. The vast, vast majority of the parts are still in useable condition - including the balance staffs. I thought with the haphazard packaging, weight and constant contact between parts would render the more delicate items unusable, but that is not the case.
 
I'm told these came from an old store down south (Sydney/Melbourne) and these parts have been collecting dust for quite some time. The problem for my wholesaler is that the time expense of sorting the parts would certainly exceed any possible benefit from their sale.
 
Now, for a borderline obsessive-compulsive individual such as myself, the 2-3 weeks needed to sit down and sort through the thousands/ maybe tens-of-thousands of tiny parts isn't much of an issue.


The remaining half:


 In my view, biggest benefit from this bag is the multitude of crowns and stems I now have. I have about 1 kilogram of stems & crowns which can now be put to work. Even if I cannot find an acceptable part within this substantial haul, I should be able to machine, file or cut parts to fit where needed.

Here's my current storage solution. It's a small case with internal dividers made from plastic rulers with tiny paper packets holding various different bits sorted according to function.


Unfortunately, this small case won't be housing the stems, crowns, balance wheels, plates, bridges and wheels (too numerous).

No comments:

Post a Comment