Wednesday, 23 January 2013

An Ultra-Simple Fume Box

Over the last week or so I've been chatting to a reader who was curious about my cleaning fluids and processes. Depending on the manufacturer, Naphtha may contain any number of not-so-pleasant chemical components. I recently discovered that my Shellite manufacturer here in Australia updated their MSDS to include trace readings of Benzene and Toluene (Methlybenzene). So having an apartus like this can be handy. Pictures are always more informative, so here's what I do my cleaning in:


It's a 9 or 10 litre plastic storage box with a transparent lid. In here I place my naphtha for rinsing and my parts containers. I've got two ports for my hands to enter, so I can clean & manipulate the various different parts. The fan blows out the back, drawing air in through the hand holes.


At the back I've got a standard 120mm computer case fan. These electronics are by no means complicated, and do the job of fume extraction quite well.

 
 
Depending on where I'm working, I'll either use this near a window or with an additional ducting tube which gets those nasty hydrocarbons away from me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi David, thanks for this, this has helped me to understand, keep up the great work.

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    Great stuff. Got me interested in servicing some movements. As a matter of fact I just picked up a Seiko 6119C and a S726. Can you tell us where you get your oils from?

    Tony

    ReplyDelete