This is a Kienzle pin lever pocket watch that I picked up for literally a couple of dollars from a pawn shop in Coonawarra, South Australia. It's a cheap German movement from around WW2, evidenced by the full plate movement design which appears to be stamped into shape.
Before I got into my current milling & fabrication mood, I'd already fashioned lugs for the case out of coat hanger wire.
Here's the movement uncased:
This is the first time I've tried to cutting a stem, here are the first three failed attempts:
1. Filing the flats from round stock on a wooden block. Filling round stock square is a skill I'll have to develop further, unfortunately this was not good enough.
2. Milling the flats. My progress here was excellent, I'm sorry I didn't get an intermediate photo - but trust me when I say it was a great improvement on the first effort. Unfortunately I made a very silly mistake in lowering the spindle instead of raising it, thereby breaking off the square end of the stem.
3. This one was certainly the best yet, produced in the same way as 2. When I was trying to cut the grove for yoke, I did happen to cut a little too deep clipping off the end.
Learning a little each time..
This is the forth and final attempt. The threads are well formed (except at the centre) and ready for cutting the flats.
Setting up the Sherline for milling takes about 20 seconds.
And of course I became so focused on the task at hand that I forgot to document it with my camera. The next photo is of the stock from which I'll make a crown.
The taper might have been a bit shallow..
But it works-
Here's a comparison of crown size between a Molnija 3602 and my Kienzle. It's big, but not massive. It's comparable to a 44mm Chinese Parnis that again, I don't have photos of.
A test fitting
The completed piece with the duds
Looks good, now I just need to figure out how to cut groves/ knurl the edges. I may be required to make my own cutter.